Tuesday 3 May 2016

The Soulmate

I know it has been nearly 2 weeks since I last posted but a few ceremonies and procedures had me occupied. Anyway, I am back and I have a really relate-able story for you.

Soulmate. Hasn’t your mind suddenly started buzzing with a bucketlist and a dummy physique of what your ‘soulmate’ should be like. It is such a frequently used word that we often forget what it implies and how to find him/her. Same situation brewed in the mind of my friend, who I had just befriended. We were in the final year of engineering and I was returning from a year drop that I had suffered due to abysmal grades in the previous semester. So, this meant that I had to make new friends once I cleared my drop as all my old ones had graduated.

I wasn’t the shy type but again, I wasn’t the most outgoing person in the class. It was my first lecture in that year and I had entered a computer lab hoping to have my first class. And there I was sitting alone and wondering why no one else had bothered to come to college. Then there was another guy, sitting opposite to me, a little pudgy and with specs, wondering the same thing. I started talking to him and exchanged pleasantries. So, here stood Keval Mehta, born and brought up in Thane and only son of his parents. Since no one else had come to the lecture, we winded up talking and got to know a lot about each other.


As the days went on, I started hanging with Keval and two other guys forming a group. We used to eat lunch together and after lunch, they used to go for having a puff while I watched them. This became a custom and slowly college life became tolerable because of these three friends of mine. There was a time when a girl walked upto me and said,”Don’t talk to Keval, he is too selfish and nobody likes him!”. At first, I was a little surprised because every single person I know is a little selfish but if someone is complaining that someone is selfish then it might be a bigger issue. I figured it out anyway that he was a bit self-centered and not to mention, acrophobic but it didn’t matter to me.


So, time went on and soon, he started sharing stories of his failed relationships with girls, one of whom was in that very class. It was quite awkward between them but Keval insisted that he had moved on. But, he was more hungover about this girl named Sayani. She was his first girlfriend and they had dated when they both were in junior college and they used to travel together as they both stayed in Thane but somehow it fell through. They moved on and dated a few others never having a proper stable relationship. Then Keval started seeing a girl from his own building called Shagufa. Keval and Shagufa’s parents were long time friends and Keval was very apprehensive of dating her. His parents had already warned him to not get involved with her as inter-religion marriage was not the way to go. Besides, they didn’t want their friendship to come under the hammer.


Keval knew that whatever he and Shagufa were having was a short term affair and won’t stand the test of time. So, he wasn’t much into it and he also made Shagufa know about the same. Then, Sayani, who he broke up with 4 years ago, suddenly started talking to him. Although they used to chat on occasion, it was very rare. But suddenly, Sayani started taking to him daily. They formed a group on whatsapp full of junior college friends to hangout and other general merriment. Keval on further schmoozing with her realized that she had just broken up with her boyfriend and was recovering from its effects. 

And keval had a habit of telling me these things only after they get serious. So, when he told me that he has started to get feelings for Sayani again, I was shocked. Though, I knew that he had mentioned once that if he could change one thing from the past, he would have never broken up with Sayani. He considered her, his 'soulmate'. Still, he was still dating shagufa and I advised him against two-timing. But, fate had other ideas. 


Keval and his junior college gang planned for a trip to lonavla for a weekend getaway and sayani was on the forefront of booking and all, I had warned keval that there might be a cache and he should be careful and take shagufa with him. He didn’t follow my advise and instead ignored Sayani on the trip. Sayani was extremely pissed with this as she had wanted things to happen between them. So when the gang sat to have drinks, Sayani drank in her despair and started crying because keval isn't paying attention. Keval was embarrassed and went to his hotel room and left the gang to drink without him.

Now, he was alone in his room and Sayani, in her drunk stupor, decided to go visit him in his room. She immediately hugged him when she entered his room and old sparks rekindled and they started doing things that couples do under a mistletoe (subtle ;) ) and Keval was overjoyed to finally have righted the wrong. He told Shagufa after he returned, about the incident and was extremely sorry for the same. But, Keval was glad that he had finally found his soulmate and couldn’t wait to accomplish relationship goals with her.


So, Sayani and Keval started dating but now Sayani no longer lived in Thane. She had shifted to Wadala a few years back and it was a daily commute for Keval to visit her and spend time with her. In midst of this, Keval had his birthday celebrated with the gang and similarly, Keval planned a lavish birthday party for Sayani. All was going well, or so he thought.

At this time, Keval had already graduated from engineering and was waiting for his job to start while Sayani had finished her CA degree and was aiming on going abroad for her PG. Keval didn’t like this idea and was trying to change her mind. But in Keval’s own words,”Sayani is a level above me dude. Her family is much more well-off than mine and her goals and achievements are more greater than mine.” Having heard this, I was quite sure that this wasn’t going to end well.


Keval called me one day and I answered. It was around midnight and I was quite concerned why he chose to call me now. His voice tone was lower than before and I heard him sobbing. (Yes, guys do cry) He was extremely dejected and told me the whole incident of how Sayani broke up with him. He shared that Sayani was getting tired of being told whom to hang out with and whom not to, she was feeling that Keval was not ambitious enough and she believed that she could get a better guy than him. This completely broke Keval to the point where he even shared this with Shagufa who was more than happy to take him back.


This was the point where he realized what a big mistake he had committed by cheating on her with someone so pretentious as Sayani. It took him some months of being single to get over this debacle and soon he started searching for his potential girlfriend. Life is strange and don’t make it even stranger by defining your own concepts about stuff far beyond your capacity. Be grateful of what comes your way and don’t desire stuff that others are having just because you want to write a better love story than what you are experiencing. Stay clear of short term flings and give more attention to people who want to be with you rather those you want to be with. Once, you get old, your love story won’t make a difference but your example of being in a relationship will.


No comments:

Post a Comment